Artist statements; art speak, plain language or both?
We posted this question on our Instagram on 26th May 2021, here are the answers offered by our followers:
- Either is fine, as long as it seems genuine. (Quite how ‘genuine’ appears authentic is another thing!)
- Plain! Probably why I don’t get anywhere.
- I prefer a mixture of both.
- I like the authentic voice. 🔥
- If it’s the genuine artist’s voice & gives the reader clear access and further understanding of the work then either.
- I want other people (as well as myself!!!) to know what my statement means and what I’m talking about. This isn’t just for job ops, I think it’s important to have easy language that isn’t too artsy complicated so that people looking at your work whether online or in shows of all ages and capabilities can connect with you and your work. ❤️❤️❤️